Hosting practise

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
Stick77
League Member

Hosting practise

Post by Stick77 »

Im trying to get it where i can host practises for when there is no servers on IRF. Ive disabled my firewall in my modem and turned off my firewall on my computer,yet DavisV still cant get on my server(waiting for reply)is all he gets.Is there some other things i need to do.I have three ip address one short one and another one that looks more like everyone elses that is ten numbers long.Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Stick77.
efgordon
League Member

ip

Post by efgordon »

i tried to join too but i couldent

is having 3 ip numbers normal?
WildFire
Forum Member

Post by WildFire »

Yes you can have more then one IP address..

EF, time for another lesson :wink: Get a hold of me anytime on Saturday will be free most of the day. Sunday going to a playoff game..

Dave
bover907
League Administrator

Hosting 101

Post by bover907 »

Here's your problem. You turned off your firewall on your computer, but your router, or dsl/cable modem also acts as a firewall. That's why you see more than one ip adress. You probably see something along the lines of 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.100. You ccould also end up seeing something like 192.168.255.255. All those are ip addresses that your dsl modem or your router assigns to your computer(s) that are attached to them.

the one you see that looks real, ie. 69.171.206.254, or something like that is the ip address to your actual internet connection. What you need to do is "DMZ" your modem or router. (or both). so that your computer is actually visible to the internet. The built in NAT(Network Address Translator) firewall inside routers and cable modems are the best and most secure, thus making them a pain in the ass for online gaming.

You'll have to consult your modem/router's instructions to learn how to get around this. I'd have to write a book to show you how to do it.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

i have a westell 327w modem

instructions? do you mean those things i threw away? lol

efhosting
WildFire
Forum Member

Post by WildFire »

Bov, I couldn't have typed that out better myself.

327W Modem, u should I beleive have a gateway/router and 4 port switch with wireless access.. You have dsl correct? This type of modem is usually used for dsl. Dave
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

yes verizon dsl

currently no other pc's in the house on the net, but that might change in 2007
WildFire
Forum Member

Post by WildFire »

EF you can host with dsl... will get u up and working... I think we tried this once last year.. we didn't spend enough time on it.... :smile:
Stick77
League Member

Post by Stick77 »

Bov i already turned off the firewall in the modem,so i guess i need to dig more into,Thanks for the help guys
Stick77
League Member

Post by Stick77 »

Oh and my DMZ shows disabled with no numders in the blocks :? And where exactly do you find your ip address.i show a short one like11.0.0.4 and then 217.227.20.12.Hmm i need some computer lessons.
WildFire
Forum Member

Post by WildFire »

If you go to this link. http://whatismyipaddress.com/

It will tell you what your IP address is for your computer. Use that IP for hosting... -Dave