Server Thick/Thin debate

General discussion, feedback, or ideas about improving the league.

What mode for the server

Thick(normal)
94%
Thin
6%

Total votes: 17

Harding
League Member

Server Thick/Thin debate

Post by Harding »

Well just to get opinions out there so lepage and skoty can make a more informed decision for future rounds.

My opinion

Thin:
Negatives:
    Makes my connection play up in a big way!
      Cant see people spinning and are less likely to judge correctly what way they are facing which means a higher likely hood that there will be accidents.

Positives:
        Less strain on the server? :doubt: :?

Thick(normal):
        Negatives:
          More strain on the server? :doubt: :?

Positives:
            Can see where people are, what direction their car is pointed in in more detail that before, can see sliding and people getting out of control, lessening the likely hood of accidents.
              Makes my connection more bearable, + any lag is less noticeable as car just looks jumpy (most of what I viewed was just vertical)
              Every dog has his day
              tjwild
              League Member

Re: Server Thick/Thin debate

Post by tjwild »

i like the ide of seeing where cars are going when the spine and what way there facing. like sunday race when that crash happen i knew where to go to stay out of it. be for it would been harder to stay out of it and making wrong distentions on what way to go to stay out of crashes . i realy like the fat ide .
              Stick77
              League Member

Post by Stick77 »

i would like to try it one more time , then i would make a decision.
              mustangman759
              League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

it is still fun on thin but it is more realistic on fat. also if there is warping on fat for a race you can change it to thin, but I guess you do need to be consistent thin or thick...
              revolutionaryracing.forumotion.com
              revmediahub.gt3tcc.500servers.net
              groverhardt
              League Member

Post by groverhardt »

I second Stick. Reference the Hardy warp....not sure. I was real nervous passing you bud with your car jittering around, but I guess it's better than seeing it materializ and fly across the track.
              bover907
              League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

I know for a fact that I would have hit grove on pit road had the server been on thin. With the server on Fat, I knew exactly where his car was, and how much room I had to go behind it.

I think we need a 'phase in test period' kind of like what real NASCAR did with the COT. Let's not make any decisions until we see how it works out for a couple/few more races.
              Bover907
              Old School Racing

Image Image
              jrfan381
              League Member

Post by jrfan381 »

I'd agree with the idea of testing it some more before we decide to fully implement it, but I have to say racing on thick is definitely more fun
              GTSVip9
              League Member

Post by GTSVip9 »

jrfan381 wrote:I'd agree with the idea of testing it some more before we decide to fully implement it, but I have to say racing on thick is definitely more fun
              did thick help you get through that pile-up in nbs? didn't help me any but that was wild watching from your view, i still can't believe you made it through.
              jrfan381
              League Member

Post by jrfan381 »

gtsvip9 wrote:
              jrfan381 wrote:I'd agree with the idea of testing it some more before we decide to fully implement it, but I have to say racing on thick is definitely more fun
              did thick help you get through that pile-up in nbs? didn't help me any but that was wild watching from your view, i still can't believe you made it through.
              Oh yes, definitely helped me get through...since I could actually see the cars spinning and wrecking, it allowed me to make a decision on where to go to try and avoid it...I still can't believe I made it through there myself :lol:
              SpeedyExiter
              League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

in The Cup race I witnessed some minor and at times some major warping that were the same as in the thin Mode. Didn't think it was ideal.
              The Nbs race I noticed a much better Grid start. Cars lined side by side straight rows and a less urgent prestart .When the car got loose on lap 4 ,I could see way acroos the turn as I enterd and he spun exiting . Very clear view. It seemed most cars that got caught up in it reacted accordingly ,going this way and then that away but I could clearly see the direction of travel. Still needs some testing though in practice with a race size amount
              of drivers.With bad connections ,it may still not help .
              bmxtwins
              League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

SpeedyExiter wrote:in The Cup race I witnessed some minor and at times some major warping that were the same as in the thin Mode. Didn't think it was ideal.
              The Nbs race I noticed a much better Grid start. Cars lined side by side straight rows and a less urgent prestart .When the car got loose on lap 4 ,I could see way acroos the turn as I enterd and he spun exiting . Very clear view. It seemed most cars that got caught up in it reacted accordingly ,going this way and then that away but I could clearly see the direction of travel. Still needs some testing though in practice with a race size amount
              of drivers.With bad connections ,it may still not help .
              Yes hardings connection is bad period. Itll be fine for all but 1 lap but that 1 lap can cause him to go anywhere. Overal i think that THICK mode (fat) didnt allow for people to accidentaly get up under people and turn there rear ends up the turn (by accident) which has happened to me twice. Both were in cts
              Tally and dalrington. Was running in 5th at darlington and petty got right up underneath me and plowed. After reviewing mustangs reaplay i saw that petty never touched me but on my he walloped me.

FAT removed these problems.
              Harding
              League Member

Post by Harding »

With the connections. you cant expect that thick mode will eliminate lag. But for me it seemed 100% better. Other have said it is slightly better, you cant expect a miracle on this but what I can assure you of is is the server was ran in thin mode and I raced I WOULD have hit every other car on the track :roll: . But as it were the only person I managed to get was BMX which was partly driver error too (on my part).

The question really is does thick mode make connection worse that thin mode? To me its the opposite. And if others are the same or slightly better why not thick mode? The advantages gained from thick mode are huge! :mrgreen: .

Lets let these next few events play out and see how everyone likes thick mode in the mean time :wink: .

Harding :alien:
              Every dog has his day
              lepage71
              League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

I'd like to test fat mode again this weekend. I planned on launching a poll after that, but it appears most support using it in the future. Our main concern is that fat mode will force a driver out of a race for some reason.

If someone has a major problem like this, then please send us a private message.
              Harding
              League Member

Post by Harding »

This saved me today in the race, Speedy and Sly had a collision right in front of me and I saw the gap and went straight between them, instincts made me lock the brakes up and almost hit the inside wall though. But my Stockcar routes saved me there dumping the clutch and dropping it down to 2nd. I think I may have used my get out of damage free card that time :mrgreen: . My conclusion of this debate is that everyone seems to be enjoying themselves with it, makes the racing much more realistic. Makes the crash's look better (most important :lol: ) and makes crash's that do happen in front of you a lot easier to predict and avoid. :wink:

Every dog has his day
              SpeedyExiter
              League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Harding wrote:This saved me today in the race, Speedy and Sly had a collision right in front of me and I saw the gap and went straight between them, instincts made me lock the brakes up and almost hit the inside wall though. But my Stockcar routes saved me there dumping the clutch and dropping it down to 2nd. I think I may have used my get out of damage free card that time :mrgreen: . My conclusion of this debate is that everyone seems to be enjoying themselves with it, makes the racing much more realistic. Makes the crash's look better (most important :lol: ) and makes crash's that do happen in front of you a lot easier to predict and avoid. :wink:

what you talkin bout,Speedy and sly got in a collision.? watch your replay ,you will see Sly spinning out by hisself and then you will see, me, with my excellent driving skills, slightly brake, slightly turn to the left,then wait ,then accelerate,turn back to the right,then right back onto the track,and go.! I never even touched him.The reason i am making a point of this is because he thought i was warping and hit him,which is not the case. The "gap" you claim to have seen was between him and the outside wall while he was spinning and i was to his left passing him.
              yes, the fat server does seem to help quite a bit in regards to vision and getting thru an incident.But,the
              jumping up and down,along with sparks (sometimes),by cars with a bad connection is annoying and still makes you wary as to whether it is safe to pass or whatnot. IMO ,Still needs testing.
              Reef
              League Member

Post by Reef »

The bumpiness and sparks are normal at bristol, thats a track thing. Since we are now running a fat server those things are now amplified some.
              Harding
              League Member

Post by Harding »

My mistake speedy please forgive me, in the heat of the race you only have a few split secs to view and see what your guna do. I must have gotten the situation slightly wrong, but I did dive underneath somebody I'm sure because I ended up with my back bumper very close to the inside wall :mrgreen: . I hadn't get most of the skins so I was seeing a lot of red and was utilizing the page up/page down/home buttons to flick between players along the straights to find out who was where and who was behind me weather that was a race front runner or not.

P.S sparks are fun! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Every dog has his day
              bover907
              League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

I can't even tell you how many times the fat server helped me out at bristol. It was a lot. I was able to avoid most wrecks because I could see them developing before they even happened. You could tell which way a car was going to go when he was wrecking. I like it.

Look, we're going to be dealing with 12 to 16 cars fields (except for talladega, of course) until Next year's February Daytona race again. That's just the way it is.

I say we continue with a fat server by default, and resort to a thin server if there's too many cars to be handled by the fat server. (It's extremely obvious to tell when the fat server has too many cars in it).
              Bover907
              Old School Racing

Image Image
              lepage71
              League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

bover907 wrote:I say we continue with a fat server by default, and resort to a thin server if there's too many cars to be handled by the fat server. (It's extremely obvious to tell when the fat server has too many cars in it).
              This is probably the best policy for the future. Unless someone has an objection, I'd like to use fat mode as the default setting going forward. We haven't seen 25 cars in fat yet, but we can always use thin in case a large field causes goofy things to happen.
              bmxtwins
              League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

I have an objection for using it at Bristol. And maybe any other short track without it being ttested before a league event as i expierienced many over exaggerated bobbled from other drivers on my screen.