Special Request

General announcements, discussion, and rumors about the league.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Special Request

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Out of respect to other NHRL League members ,I chose to suspend my internet connection during the last quarter of the NBS Bristol race, because of the terrible lag and /or warp I was and have continued to receive during this and several other recent Nhrl league NBS races that have been run in the NHRL server .In doing so I lost 3 positions in one race in the current NBS standings ,dropping from 6th down to 9th place.I have come to the concluson that this lag and /or warp will continue to interfere with my efforts to race,and eventually result in my ruining someone elses race.

So, either i am gonna call it quits or I will have to quit every race this occurs in unless it is alleviated ,which does not seem to be an option at this time.So that leaves me to ask as to what the admins thought of possibly running an upcoming NHRL league race in the public server supplied by Dusterlag 's Heatfinder service? The interfering lag/warp apparrently is relegated to the NHRL server only.
What do you think about this suggestion? :?
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Re: Special Request

Post by SpeedyExiter »

I forgot to add this to above post before editing was denied:
Here's my replay of the Bristol race for your enjoyment.(NOT) :ezboardfrowning
Click on the orange download button on far right when u arrive at zippyshare
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/23340157/file.html
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

I personally don't have a problem using someone else's server, ensuring the racing is competitive for everyone. But please keep in mind the additional factors involved here. As you know, we've worked with you to solve this problem. It's just as frustrating to us.

When we use a different server, it means that someone else now becomes responsible for:
  • - Changing the server name so that other HeatFinder users recognize what league and event is being conducted.
    - Ensuring that our league's schedule is loaded on the server from week to week.
    - Ensuring that the server's options settings are equivalent to what we use each race.
    - Installing a password, should we desire one at a given moment, which is often a week-to-week decision.
    - Being available so as to reset the host computer, should the server crash or fail for some reason.
Few things are more confusing than "server chaos" where we're jumping from place to place each week. Hence, the need for consistency.

If some of this is feasible, and the performance does not drop for our other members, then using another server could be an option. Being an administrator, knowing the time-consuming things other leagues have to do, it's difficult to place this pressure on another administrator.

What would also be interesting to know is if someone else in another league has dealt with or solved this particular problem.
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

no offense to duster, but if you want a laggier race then you would drive on the HF servers. I find the NHRL server is the second best heat server out there besides our own. That said we have hosted NHRL races on our server before and probably could accommodate if needed. However, the problem seems more relegated to people from the west coast as we had a driver from the netherlands attend a CTS? daytona race without any significant lag.
revolutionaryracing.forumotion.com
revmediahub.gt3tcc.500servers.net
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

oh..well if thats the case,,I'll pack my bags and move to the Netherlands...which direction is that from Phoenix exactly? Can i drive to there from here?or could i just build up alot of speed and do the General Lee thing........ .......like that?? :roll
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

No, just stating there has to be some sort of inferior connection from your end/to your end. What is your upload and download speeds? its possible that your maxing out on one of them.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

The thing that's always intrigued me is that his connection is always flawless at the start of the race, and then, somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the way through the race, is when his issue develops. Another thing that is interesting, is that Tonight, Me and speedy passed eachother very late in the race, and his connection seemed fine. I'm hot sure what the difference was between tonight, and other weeks where there is a problem.

Not sure it's speedy's computer, or some problem with an internet router between speedy's locale (Arizona), and the NHRL server (Vermont). Somehow Speedy, I suggest you keep racing for now, and what we need to isolate is if the warp/lag issue occurs at the same time on the clock every time, or same time of race, or if it is something else.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

yea, I am leading towards these 2 things. he maxes out his bandwidth.
or b. everyone else logs into internet there
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

To answer mustang: I have a VDSL2 line and pay for 12mb speed thru Century Link.I did several speed tests immediately after the race ended,and then i waited 30 minutes did another and then 15 minutes did another,and 3o minutes did another .Speed guaranteed by Century Link is 9.6mb download. I got 11.4 once ,and 11.3 five times,and 11.2 once. Lowest Upload speed was 0.74.The highest upload was 0.81 and thats what it hit most often .I did a several tests including a test from my computer all the way outside and into the phone company's user access box that sits out in my alleyway(thats about 300 feet away ).That just bypasses my homes phone wiring to make sure its not faulty.
here's a webpage that is pretty handy that explains multiple types of tests and what they do.
http://commandwindows.com/tcpiputil.htm
here's a tracert to NHRL server 24.128.195.36

Tracing route to c-24-128-195-36.hsd1.vt.comcast.net [24.128.195.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 77 ms 24 ms 23 ms phnx-dsl-gw71.phnx.qwest.net [67.40.227.71]
3 23 ms 24 ms 24 ms phnx-agw1.inet.qwest.net [75.160.238.49]
4 34 ms 34 ms 34 ms lap-brdr-04.inet.qwest.net [67.14.22.158]
5 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms 63.146.26.146
6 89 ms 35 ms 35 ms if-2-2.tcore2.LVW-LosAngeles.as6453.net [66.110.
59.2]
7 39 ms 38 ms 36 ms 64.86.252.14
8 61 ms 63 ms 59 ms 68.86.89.213
9 92 ms 95 ms 96 ms he-0-6-0-0-cr01.denverqwest.co.ibone.comcast.net
[68.86.89.122]
10 87 ms 87 ms 88 ms he-3-12-0-0-cr01.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68
.86.89.33]
11 87 ms 84 ms 95 ms he-5-15-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
[68.86.85.113]
12 116 ms 119 ms 120 ms he-3-7-0-0-ar01.woburn.ma.boston.comcast.net [68
.86.90.6]
13 115 ms 115 ms 116 ms po-58-ur02.williston.vt.boston.comcast.net [68.8
5.162.125]
14 117 ms 117 ms 117 ms 68.87.154.166
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * *
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

the upload speed would be the biggest problem, as the lag is us seeing you differently from what I remember. I run on a 1.0 MB upload (a 0.1 for a while) and never had problems like your having. are you running wireless or on a satellite?
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

The problem is in the hops, which unfortunately Speedy can do nothing about. Speedy and I have discussed this before. Notice that Speedy's route goes from Phoenix, thru L.A., Denver, and Then somewhere in Illinois. I don't know why that is, seems like something more like Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, and up the east coast would be more logical, but for whatever reason, the internet routes suck from the west coast to the east coast. It's no wonder Speedy has the same problem Ramrock had, because Ramrock lives in LA, which is where speedys route goes to first.

Unfortunately, Speedy is at the mercy of the internet, until infrastructure in the Central U.S. improves. He could bring it to Comcast's attention, but there's nothing there going to do about it unless enough people complain about the same thing. Heck I bet anyone speedy calls is probably in some call center in Bangladesh, or India. (Love how those people have the balls to tell you their name is "Bob", or "Ed".
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

At least Century Link is aware of the call centers located in foreign countries,they even replied to an email that I sent to them
complaining about always getting a foreignor when i called to speak to a tech ,by apologizing and stating if that happens again,that i always have the option of requesting that I would like to speak to an AMERICAN speaking technician......lmao. wouldnt u know it...the email had to be from another freakin foreignor...whats next whats next whats next!!
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

mustangman759 wrote:the upload speed would be the biggest problem, as the lag is us seeing you differently from what I remember. I run on a 1.0 MB upload (a 0.1 for a while) and never had problems like your having. are you running wireless or on a satellite?

matt,are u friggin kidding me? wireless? satellite? no and no..i use 2 tin cans with a piece of string in between. Didn't i explain up above how i ran a line 300feet from my comp/router outside to the phone boxes user access in my alleyway to test my homes phone wiring?
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

mustangman759 wrote:no offense to duster, but if you want a laggier race then you would drive on the HF servers.
The HeatFinder server functions with no problems, we have run 25 drivers with no lag. It has been a couple years since we had issues. These inaccurate comments are inaccurate.
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

DusterLag wrote:
mustangman759 wrote:no offense to duster, but if you want a laggier race then you would drive on the HF servers.
The HeatFinder server functions with no problems, we have run 25 drivers with no lag. It has been a couple years since we had issues. These inaccurate comments are inaccurate.
I was just going to post something positive about your servers myself Dustin. You beat me to it. ;) Same with HeatMasters servers, we've been running the same server for a few years now without any problems. We did have a hiccup prior to our first event with G3. But that was because one of our drivers ping was over 700. Which had to do with the drivers connection, which has already been rectified.

Long Live Heat!!! 8)
NHRL 2012 Cup & NBS Champion. 2013 CTS Champion & Cup Champion. 31 Wins, 26 Poles, and 2,126 laps led!
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

this threadisnt about who's server is better,or who's server is slower,Its about figuring out a way to alleviate the lousy warping that is interfering with my enjoyment in racing. This wasn't meant to bash away at the NHRL server, as i know its not anyones fault its just the way the route is.I am just frustrated and posting about it in hopes that maybe someone has the answer or some new idea that would help, short of me moving to greenland or where ever .lol.BUT now that its been brought up,,, I can honestly say that the heatfinder servers the speedsims server and now ,the heatmasters server,and i can also add jess's HMS server to that list, have always been efficient as far as my connection goes so i agree with DaveO and Duster.AS a matter of fact Mustang ,your Revracing server has been fine too.ive got a new friend at Century Link that is seriously looking into this matter as we speak.Meawhile, yesterdays NBS race at Cal in NHRL server ,which i didnt practice much for, was fine.Saw no warp .i will have to take it on a week to week basis,and see what transpires.over n out!
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

SpeedyExiter wrote:this threadisnt about who's server is better,or who's server is slower,Its about figuring out a way to alleviate the lousy warping that is interfering with my enjoyment in racing.
Sadly as we've all told you short of the server changing ISP's (which could create other unforeseeable issues with other drivers), you changing ISP or your ISP changing its network topology and/or DNS server configuration. There are no other options currently visible.

Hopefully something has changed and your result at California continues week to week!
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Speedy- Get rid of your century link DSL. A DSL connection CANNOT sustain speeds over 1,800 Kbps. When tests speeds are higher than that it means they are throttling it. DSL is an antiquated technology. Length of the phone line between the residence and the phone company hub (often called "central office"). DSL technology is "distance sensitive" because its performance decreases significantly as you get further away from this hub. Century link also likes to keep all their hops in house. Meaning thru their switches. Which might loop you all over the country. My condolences Speedy.
NickyJ
League Member

Post by NickyJ »

Rookiesrock wrote:Speedy- Get rid of your century link DSL. A DSL connection CANNOT sustain speeds over 1,800 Kbps. When tests speeds are higher than that it means they are throttling it. DSL is an antiquated technology. Length of the phone line between the residence and the phone company hub (often called "central office"). DSL technology is "distance sensitive" because its performance decreases significantly as you get further away from this hub. Century link also likes to keep all their hops in house. Meaning thru their switches. Which might loop you all over the country. My condolences Speedy.
That's strange, because I use CenturyLink DSL, and I haven't noticed or been told of any lag problems.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

Rookiesrock wrote:Speedy- Get rid of your century link DSL. A DSL connection CANNOT sustain speeds over 1,800 Kbps. When tests speeds are higher than that it means they are throttling it. DSL is an antiquated technology. Length of the phone line between the residence and the phone company hub (often called "central office"). DSL technology is "distance sensitive" because its performance decreases significantly as you get further away from this hub. Century link also likes to keep all their hops in house. Meaning thru their switches. Which might loop you all over the country. My condolences Speedy.
The best DSL service I can get out here is ~128k download, just plain sad upload and all for only $14 a month lol. Thank God for Time Warner Cable investing in Maine!