Open Discussion Thread

General discussion, feedback, or ideas about improving the league.
lepage71
League Administrator

Open Discussion Thread

Post by lepage71 »

For our polling session in 2011, please share any additional suggestions you have in this thread. For instance, which rules changes would you recommend? Or which formatting changes would you make? Please feel free to share some specific ideas to generate a discussion.
Reef
League Member

Re: Open Discussion Thread

Post by Reef »

I get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." error for every poll
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

When it comes to the final standings, what is the purpose of these 2 rules?

IV-A 3. In our standard championship format, the worst finishes of every driver are dropped in progressive segments of 4 races throughout a season. After a driver is scored for 4 races, his lowest point total from an event is dropped and not counted in the championship standings. After 8 races, the lowest 2 point totals are then dropped from the standings. After 12 races, the lowest 3 point totals are dropped. After 16 races, the lowest 4 point totals are dropped. After 20 races, the lowest 5 point totals are dropped. This system enables drivers to miss an occasional race and remain competitive in the championship standings.

IV-A 4. Your lowest point totals will more than likely shift throughout a season. A mediocre 15th-place finish in the opening race, for example, may not remain among your lowest point totals at the end of the season. Additionally, all "Did Not Start" and "Did Not Race" finishes are also eligible to be dropped. Therefore, you should remember to notify the league administrators when you expect to miss a race. A driver who misses a race without notification is not scored, forfeiting a potential point total that could have been dropped.

Ok..here's the reason i am asking.Before the final CTS race @Talladega,I was leading my good friend,Retroracer and in 6th pl.
ME-1191
retro-1061
I finished badly @ tally in 9th pl collecting another 175pts.Retro DNR and was scored in 20thpl and collected another 137pts.

total= Speedy .......1366 pts . ...Raced in 8 races. Zero DNR's
total= Retro .........1198 pts .....Raced in 6 races. 1 DNR and 1 did not attend .

I attended all the races, 2 race point totals were dropped from my season.(155pts,charlotte)and (164pts,Bristol)
whereas Retro missed a race and scored 0 pts (per rule:IV-A 4.A driver who misses a race without notification is not scored, forfeiting a potential point total that could have been dropped. Retro only dropped 1race. (137pts,Tally).

It seems to me that I got penalized for showing up for all the races! The race that Retro missed should go against him, not
help him ,which in this case it did indeed help him.Because he only had 7 races he only dropped 1 race,which just happens to be
only 137 pts from the Tally race. Do the math.

IMO..if this format is to be fair,what should have happened is : Because he scored 0pts @Road Am.(did not attend ) his next
lowest pt total (which was 162pts@Charlotte) should be deducted from his total.(Along with the 137pts@Tally).

In the current format ,IF I would have skipped the Tally race I would have only dropped 1 race,(155pts@Charlotte)
thereby scoring higher than Retro In the final points configuration.( I also scored higher in points without this format......
1366 to 1198. a difference of 168 pts)

Unless I am calculating this wrong, I finished lower because I attended all races!.....?????????????
What is the purpose of this point dropping? whatever it is,...it stinks! It rewards a driver for not showing up and penalizes
a driver for attending.Nothing against you at all ,Retro,just trying to understand this BS!

EDIT: After reading this again:A driver who misses a race without notification is not scored, forfeiting a potential point total that could have been dropped.I still dont see the reasoning? Forfeiting a loss of 0 points?
Therby having less points deducted at the final configuration. Huh? Something is wrong with this ,period!
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Reef wrote:I get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." error for every poll
Try going into your user control panel and temporarily switching your style to prosilver or subsiliver2. The Black Pearl theme is older and it might be causing your polling problems.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

gotcha, ill try

thats what it was...can we get another blackish forum style? I hate white background forums.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

This past season, it was noticed on a few tracks, especially Dega of some weird grid issue. Would it be possible to test a newer updated version of the problematic tracks?
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

You lost me on your argument, speedy, but you seem to have a point. I'll have to re-read your post and check it out when I ain't so tired.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

I'd like to make an "NHRL Modified Tour" mod with paved modifieds I'd create from scratch, and we'd race on short tracks. If there'd be interest in this, please let me know. I don't want to go thru the work if there's not enough intrest, but I think it'd be a blast.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Speedy, the mistake you're making is viewing the standings as a cumulative points system. Our system is actually focused on counting your best finishes throughout a season. However, you still want to attend as many events as possible, because that widens your selection of potential finishes.

There's an additional drop after each segment of 4 races, so:

In 7 scored races, retro had 1 drop and 6 counted events.
In 8 scored races, you had 2 drops and 6 counted events.

To put it another way, you had 8 races to work with and retro only had 7 (due to him not being scored for one). While it may seem counterintuitive, you were definitely not penalized by having that extra race. In fact, without it, you might have finished behind Duster.
Speedyexite wrote:IMO..if this format is to be fair,what should have happened is : Because he scored 0pts @Road Am.(did not attend ) his next
lowest pt total (which was 162pts@Charlotte) should be deducted from his total.(Along with the 137pts@Tally).

In the current format ,IF I would have skipped the Tally race I would have only dropped 1 race,(155pts@Charlotte)
thereby scoring higher than Retro In the final points configuration.( I also scored higher in points without this format......
1366 to 1198. a difference of 168 pts)
The problem in this example is that retro would be dropping 2 events in his 7 races but you'd only be dropping 1 for your 7 races. If you had skipped a race, you could not possibly have scored more points. You don't need to worry about that.
DSSProdDirector
Provisional Member

Post by DSSProdDirector »

I can't seem to vote on any of these :(
__|
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
███\ __ ███\
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

The fix is posted here. Let us know if the troubles persist.
Grumpy
League Member

Post by Grumpy »

FFS_MrMet wrote:I can't seem to vote on any of these :(
I can't vote either, but I'm assuming its because we are forum members and not league members right now.
Some Of My Best Friends Are People I Don't Even Know --- Long Live Heat
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

You're both in the League Rookies usergroup. I'll change the permissions to enable this group to vote.