ping and conectivity

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

ping and conectivity

Post by SpeedyExiter »

In researching my lag problem in the server during races,i came across this site called Visual routehttp://www.visualroute.com/
it shows you the ins and outs of your connection to any I.P address etc.
There is a free online version and a free downaloadable lite version.
When i run a test to the NHRL server address,with everything i can possibly turn off.... Turned off ,including firewall etc.which i never use when in the server anyway....I get this....
VisualRoute3.gif
so I ran a more detailed route.....
VR4.gif
why do i get a firewall block just b4 connecting to the NHRL server ?
Also,it shows data loss twice when it hits PSI.net along the way.PSI.net? anyone familiar with it?
I never had any of these problems until i was upgraded to fiber-optic with qwest,which i am about to dump.I have Cox cable available,how does that type of connection compare to a 12 mpbs Qwest connection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bover907
League Administrator

Re: ping and conectivity

Post by bover907 »

Those graphs look kinda wired to me. So far as I can tell, (I didn't read the info that came with the program you downloaded) I get more info I can understand doing a tracert (trace route) from the command prompt within windows. It shows each hop and how long in microseconds to each hop. A hop, btw is what they call each router to router "Hop" a packet of info takes along it's run across the internet. Usually you can see where any bottlenecks are. Plus the name of each internet router is displayed, and from that name you can usually discern what company (i.e. comcast, at&t, etc.) the router belongs to as well as it's general location. like if you see va.comcast.net, you know it's a comcast server in Verginia. Or something like pitt.frontier.net would be a frontier communications server in pittsburg.

What I'm getting at, is if you see some sort of bottlenect near the east coast of the us, but everyting from Arizona up to that point, changing your isp probably won't make a difference, because You'll still have to go thru the same bottleneck between Arizona and the North East.

The best you can do, is make your connection on your end the best it can be, and hope for the best. The rest is all up to chance and at the mercy of the internet.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Well thats not the answer I wanted...as a matter of fact ,it wasn't even close..lol..but at least your paying attention.thank you!
So,even if i change to a Cable Tv connection like Cox Communications rather then Qwest ,Cox's Router will still connect me to the same route that Qwest
uses,in other words ,somewhere along the ealy part of that same route?(before it hits ATlanta,GA?)
Well,that tells me only one thing..some jerk off at PSI.net is "Jumping into" my Route and screwing the whole process all up!Eliminate that Bozo,and it'd be
smooth sailing!
oh .whats with the firewall just b4 i reach the NHRL server. Try it from your end and see if you get that using This program.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Not to sound like an ass, but I really don't want to download the program you used, but I can tell you that when I do a trace route, it stops at some server in vermont and then times out. It's the same thing ur program is running into, because it does the same thing a trace route in a command window does, just with a graphical interface. Whatever it is, heat doesn't experience it. It's probably that the computeer the race server is on blocks the requests but allows heat traffic to pass thru.

Remember that night I had you do a trace route, and the route went to Atlanta, then back to chicago then to New york before reaching vermont? I think that's really where your problem lies, and yes, sadly I think having another isp wouldn't cure it because that isp (and all isp's) are at the mercy of the same internet.

Now, if that other isp gives better service, better download and upload speeds for the same or lower price, I'd switch anyway, just for gp's as long as you don't have any type of contractual obligations (i.e. early termination fees) with ur current isp. One thing to check when shoping for isp's is to check their upload speeds. For instance, I haven't switched from the DSL I've had for years to my cable company because even though the cable company offers twice the download speed, 6Mb/s vs 3Mb/sec, They both offer the same crappy upload speed of 384 Kb/s. Many isp's don't advertise their upload speed which is often much slower than their download speed. You have to actually ask in most cases.

I should add, it was basically from our discussion about this a couple weeks ago that I added that speedtest pic in my signature, in case anyone wanted to just test their raw ping from their location to vermont. Just click that pic, find Burlington VT on the map and run a test. It'll give you a result that looks like that pic in my sig. see what your ping is to an area close to the server.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

Never apologize for sounding like an ass Bove. :meanlaughter
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

groverhardt wrote:Never apologize for sounding like an ass Bove. :meanlaughter
He didnt need to apologize ...BUTT ,I'm sure he would have excused himself! :dancing :mrgreen
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

Is anyone else unable to connect to the NHRL server??