NOKTB-New Kids On The Block

General announcements, discussion, and rumors about the league.
Petty43
League Member

NOKTB-New Kids On The Block

Post by Petty43 »

To all of you newer drivers coming around. we are glad to see you. this is a pretty serious racing league. we all want to have a good clean race, and practice. we drive with respect. i suggest. (as a rookie myself) you do the same. the chopstick, and catching flies can only come with time. show up. practice. and don't get discouraged, at how fast some of these guys are. it is all wax on wax off. Grasshopper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vvI26N ... re=related
Petty43
League Member

Re: NOKTB-New Kids On The Block

Post by Petty43 »

---To All The Rookie's Out There---(Except Rookiesrock)
As you see here. As a rookie in this league, i gave a nice suggestion over a month ago to the other new drivers. What happened in the past, is in the past. We pick up and move on. I've done that. I haven't forgotten. But, it's time for Marty. I've mentioned this before somewhere before, but anyway. I'm considered a Rookie in this league, and that doesn't bother me. In fact i enjoy the status. I've been playing the game for years now, and i raced back when irf was around.(My name @ irf was howie by the way). When i first found IRF i started racing hardcore. With all the restarts, accidents, and mostly no experience. I moved over to the normal servers. I'd race at the NHRL's servers ever so often. We'll I got ticked off and basically hung my Nascar Heat Helmet up for about a year. Went back, nobody was ever around at IRF, then one day i checked it, and it was gone. Then in my spare time, which i have a lot of. No kids. I google searched Nascar Heat online servers etc. When i saw NHRL i couldn't believe it. I was pumped. I had just began running hardcore, building setups, running offline with ai set to 105%. I raced 3 Full seasons with the ai @ 105%. The first full season, i concentrated on handling. How the car felt. You want a comfortable driving car. I changed one thing at a time. Practiced a lot, the test button in garage rules for offline. Remember you're not gonna just hit the setup and take off. You learn as you go. If you can find or have the book that came with the game is a bonus to have when "Wrenching The Car" for the learning driver. Then the second season i turned my attention to gears. The end of the first full season, i learned what adjustments did what to the car, did it help, make it better, mediocre, or just plain didn't work. So that helped a lot when i started my 2nd full season with my time on gears. Which changes the feel of the car, well i did that my first year. Made adjustments, try it. Sucked, try another change. So basically from wrenching on the car the First year gave me solutions to the problem. I am still wrenching and learning things all the time. Then the final season i was setup, and just went racing. Made less adjustments. About that time i started coming around here at NHRL Server. In the beginning, nobody knew me. Nobody knew how i drove. I didn't know how they drove. Nobody had one lap around me. But i held my line. FELL BACK IN THE BACK, and worked my way up to see were i was running. I knew that these guys have been racing longer than i have, I'm not gonna just come in here at blow them away. I did at Phoenix, but that's another story. I tested myself, and my setups before i joined the league. I came and practiced with the drivers who were members. Also the hinderence of me living in the 20th century also didn't help matters, but i did impress with my old school connection. Anyway. Then to my suprise, people asked me. Are you in the league? I would reply. No, I'm just here logging laps. Getting experience. So that's what i did. I logged laps with these guys. That's just being a respectful driver, and being aware of what is around me. These guys practice their butts off. They are racing for Championships. Racing for points. So i wanted to feel myself out, as well as others to see where i stood on my own two feet. I was somewhat suprised at my setups. Not bad. Not great. But, pretty good. The more i came around logging laps with these guys, the more comments, You should join the league. When Reef an administrator asked me if i was signing up for the league. I told him "the rules page" will not allow me since i was on a old school connection. To have people asking me and telling me. Hey, you should join the league, your not a bad driver. The fact of the matter is, i gave these guys respect. I respected them. I gained their respect. Once you do that, you build really awesome friendships with the people you race, have a great time. Joke around a lot, and have a great time racing. This is what it's supposed to be. That is what i did, I suggest all other Rookies do the same. Just to clarify it took about 1 Year offline for 3 seasons. Hitting it when i had the chance. So that goes to show you how long it takes to drive these cars. Most of all it takes, Patience. Confidence. Respect. If you follow my pointers, it can only help you. It will make you a better driver, a better driver around others, and more comfortable on the track.
In Closing...See you on the track.
jrfan381
League Member

Post by jrfan381 »

=D> Great info Petty

...and here are a few other threads with good info that you new guys need to take a look at:

The Multi-Player's Online Driving Guide
http://nhrl.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8695

Racing Savvy
http://nhrl.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8794
Petty43
League Member

Post by Petty43 »

A Bump for the Noobs. :grin: