opinions on a better pitting rule?

General announcements and discussion about the NHRL Cup Series.
lepage71

opinions on a better pitting rule?

Post by lepage71 »

Does anyone think we should change the pitting rules?. Entrances and exits are on the front and back stretch? I think this is a much better way and maybe we could change the rule to this format if enough people agree. Its up to you all. :ezboardsmile:
slayer25

pit rule

Post by slayer25 »

sounds great to me should be less headaches i hope
duckman8

Re: pit rule

Post by duckman8 »

yes that would be good
Skoty Speed

Post by Skoty Speed »

On exiting pits I agree.We should run the apron to the backstretch on every track. On entering pits I'm not sure that's a good idea. First of all different tracks have different rules. There's the obvious:Martinsville, Miami, and Las Vegas. On all the other tracks if we make everyone run the apron in turn 3-4, your gonna have people come in too hot and run up the track. Causing more problems than we have now. Then there's Daytona and Talledega where you're well out of turn 4 before pit road. I believe if you announce yourself on the backstretch and stay in the low lane in 3-4,{ The way real Winston Cup drivers do}, there will be the least amount of problems. A little caution on the part of other drivers helps too. We all know what the pit windows are.
Just my 2 cents.
sledge4

Pit Rules

Post by sledge4 »

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I agree that it should be the 'real' Nascar way. However, how easy it is going to be to get the drivers to actually obey it if it's a rule. Yeah, there can be penalties given at the end of the race if they break the rule, but what about if i'm running top 5 on the lead lap (fat chance of that, lol) and someone is in a 'I don't care' mood about other racers and someone comes ripping out and rams into me. Yeah the driver gets a penalty, but now i'm damaged and going to the pits and for all intensive purposes, i'm out of contention. YES, that's racing...or is it? I know there is NO way to prevent someone from doing that, but making it a rule is no different then not having a rule, atleast I don't think so.

Here's another example and this may be more of a question....I'm coming out of the pits and i'm running a loose setup, now grant it, i've only been racing for 2 months, but on some tracks it is VERY tough to stay low out of the pits and say I spin out trying to keep low but my back end comes out into the track and someone running low swipes me, what happens then? Is that a penalty to me...is it less severe then completely running out into the track?

This is just my concern's, hopefully they make sense. I'm thinking that different tracks should have different ENTRANCE criteria (I can help with figuring out which tracks should have certain entrance spots if you'd like), but all EXITS except for maybe the 2+ miles tracks should be on the back stretch. In other words, I agree with Skoty on that.
lepage71

Re: opinions on a better pitting rule?

Post by lepage71 »

OK I kinda see what you guys mean, tracks like Talladega and Daytona have large entrances, however, the rules already state you need to be on the apron for those tracks, thing is no one was following them before lol.

Personally I think every track should have the same rules, entrances and exits from backstretch. Like Skoty said, some tracks make this easy. But the other tracks I think we should keep it simple and make it so you are on the apron in 3 and 4. Too many guys were doing that old pit swing by turning right and then driving down left real hard. The pit road warp also gets a lot of guys and this is because we are running into the pits going 150 mph.

As far as drivers losing control I dont think that is a problem because they should be going slow enough to hold their car on the apron, especially keeping it in 3rd or 4th gear which I recommend. Its not really difficult to go 45 miles per hour on an apron in 4th or 3rd gear when we've been driving on the track at 180.

I won't penalize someone if they accidently slip off of the apron but will penalize someone if they dont even try to stay on it at all. I'm kinda confused what you are saying Camry, because I dont see how this rule would encourage guys to ram you more than they would before. And we've only had this ramming problem with two guys, which has been taken care of.

But whatever idea gets the most support I will go with.

Edited by: lepage71 at: 6/13/02 12:02:42 pm
sledge4

RE:

Post by sledge4 »

Lepage, I don't think it will cause MORE, I just don't see it causing that much less.

I support your rule changes either way.

Thanks
Will
lepage71

Re: RE:

Post by lepage71 »

cool
stoaked2

pit rule

Post by stoaked2 »

I say we pit like they do in nascar also
N2TONY20

Post by N2TONY20 »

guys if you announce your pitting on the back stretch "pitting this lap pass high" hello the drivers not pitting need to pay attention and not slam into you

if you got off onto the apron full speed on a lot of tracks then brake your going to spin out if you slow then get off somone not paying attention slams into you. what it comes down to is "EVERYONE" needs to pay attention for things to go smooth

if you want my opinion we take off auto pit that will force drivers to drive into the pits a little slower so they dont lose control sliding into the pits

N2TONY20

Tony Stewart Your 2002 Nascar Winston Cup Champion!!!!
lepage71

Re: opinions on a better pitting rule?

Post by lepage71 »

yea and if it changes im hoping guys will understand that if we do apron pitting you will need to start slow on the backstretch not on the apron...45-50 mph are good speeds on aprons, and plus alot of track make it easy, they give u entrance ramps. i definitely think we will change to the new rule but maybe we should do manual pits as well? i dunno

Edited by: lepage71 at: 6/14/02 9:03:26 am
Novall

Pit rule

Post by Novall »

Fine with me, I will try if everyone else does.....
Novall

Pit Rule

Post by Novall »

Also, you will have to set a mph rule on the apron per track due to the fact that Most aprons have "Right angle degree" with the cars setups it wont take much speed to send a car out on the track backwards, possibly in front of other cars.
As far as manual pits, I think what you'll end up with is a lot of slide by's in the pits. Don't get me wrong, I Like the idea cause I HATE Auto pits. The game crashed WireNut and myself in the pits in lastnights Mich. Race and I had to go a lap and pit again due to damage exiting.
I think Manual is a good Idea. People will just have to be patient.
fatfreddy

pitting

Post by fatfreddy »

Some food for thought:

Currently we are using autopit,, and there are 1 or 2 autopit crashes every race, I have been in 2, California ( where I had the pole) and at Lowe's, and those crashes were just on pit road!

Now,, if we decide to have manual pits,, do WE think the number of pit road incidents will increase or decrease?

No matter what we agree on for pitting, drivers will need to exercise caution!

I will "go with the flow", I would like to see whatever rule we decide on,enforced at a practice with a league official present to notify drivers of what is ok and what is unacceptable pitting and exits.

Also, as the tracks change, we may need to talk about pitting, the tracks are VERY different.

fatfreddy