Signature Events

General announcements and discussion regarding other league events.
lepage71
League Administrator

Signature Events

Post by lepage71 »

We're thinking about adding a new element to the league: Signature Events.

The Signature Events would be occasional, one-off special races in mods and at tracks that we do not use in our regular series. The possibilities are wide open. To get a discussion started, we're curious, what kinds of mods and tracks would be of interest in these special races?
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Re: Signature Events

Post by SpeedyExiter »

The DAYTON track in an open wheel mod, like Shelby Can Am,or the Group C mod. Like to try a new mod possibly that recently has been released for use over at the Mod Squad. Havent really seriously tested any of the Hawbaker mods for drivability, but they have a ton of legends mods to choose from right here>>>>>http://hawbakermotorsports.webs.com/heatmods.htm

How about a UPS truck mod race at a new figure 8 track or Super modifieds on a stadium -type dirt track? or a reverse oval track? just a few oddball ideas to get the ole juices flowing.... :laughing
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

SpeedyExiter wrote:The DAYTON track in an open wheel mod, like Shelby Can Am,or the Group C mod.
Neither of those mods are "open wheel", lol, but you can add a second vote to Dayton - I always loved the Truck races there.
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Dayton's an interesting idea, it's not a complicated track, and as Duster implied, we used to race there for a few years in the NHRL Truck Series. Breeze, I'm thinking that we'd probably want to use those particular mods on a road course type of race. So, I wonder what other kinds of mods, outside of our series mods, would be good for a long oval course like that. I'm not too familiar with the Hawbaker mods. Ideas or suggestions?

Also, is anyone planning any races in TMS' soon-to-be-released Lotus Elite mod? If not, perhaps we can look into that.
Spike
League Member

Post by Spike »

lepage71 wrote:Also, is anyone planning any races in TMS' soon-to-be-released Lotus Elite mod? If not, perhaps we can look into that.
Not planning any series for the Lotus Elise mod till maybe a month after it's released to give drivers a chance to get used to the mod.

We could try the 1987 Cup series mod by Rice4Christ available at FFSRacing @ Dayton. I've been playing with that mod lately as that was one of my favorite Nascar years.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

Spike wrote:
lepage71 wrote:Also, is anyone planning any races in TMS' soon-to-be-released Lotus Elite mod? If not, perhaps we can look into that.
Not planning any series for the Lotus Elise mod till maybe a month after it's released to give drivers a chance to get used to the mod.

We could try the 1987 Cup series mod by Rice4Christ available at FFSRacing @ Dayton. I've been playing with that mod lately as that was one of my favorite Nascar years.
I like the idea of going back to some of the original/older mods, any of the older 90's Cup Series mods would be fun and the NHRL setups would work well.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Thanks for the feedback and comments. We've got some good ideas to work with, for at least two potential events. Keep them coming.

As far as sports car history, I'm not too knowledgeable here, was the Lotus Elite once used regularly in various racing series? Wikipedia mentions LeMans and Nurburgring. I would have figured it appeared in some kind of LeMans series in the past. Just looking for some track ideas.

If anyone wants to do some quick testing, maybe we can determine the best old-style NASCAR mod to use for an oval race. I wonder, though, instead of going to Dayton, which we could use for an event in another mod, maybe we should visit a classic NASCAR track?

Are there any vintage NASCAR tracks out there in Heat land that NHRL hasn't visited yet? If not, maybe Untona or Untally?
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

Probably over 1000 track NHRL has not raced... lol

heatfinder.net/list
Spike
League Member

Post by Spike »

lepage71 wrote: As far as sports car history, I'm not too knowledgeable here, was the Lotus Elite once used regularly in various racing series? Wikipedia mentions LeMans and Nurburgring. I would have figured it appeared in some kind of LeMans series in the past. Just looking for some track ideas.
There's various Lotus Elise cup series run in Europe and USA. Has various classes ranging from Showroom Stock(with safety regulations) to full out race machines. There was even a few Elise GT1 car's made to compete in FIA GT Series, Lotus used the LT5 Chevy V8 they helped design from the Corvette ZR1. The Elise GT1 is in Speedsims SCGTS mod
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

After chatting with Spike, and doing some rough planning, we're going to kick off our Signature Events in the Lotus Elite mod, upon its release at TMS. For our second Signature Event, we'll look at a race in a classic NASCAR mod, like one of the Hawbaker mods.

We're still looking for track ideas. Suggestions? Ideally, I'm thinking a road course, one that would be popular amongst the community.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

Lime Rock or the new Lime Rock Mountain tend to be popular with all.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Anyone have any issues with Limerock? It's a straightforward course, and it's been the lone suggestion, so for the moment we're leaning towards it. Does someone have another idea? An equally sound argument in favor of another track might just sway the vote. :arrow

Official info on race #1 coming soon!

:drumming
Spike
League Member

Post by Spike »

Seven hills is fun